All of the servers are moved now, just trying to get things to work again.
We delayed the previous datacenter move and adjusted it to a better time of day: 7am EST on a Sunday.
The outage should be between 30 minutes and an hour if everything goes smoothly and indefinitely longer if it doesn’t go smoothly!
Some additional info that hasn’t been on the blog: we were generously given two more servers by a local company that was upgrading (thanks!) and have ordered gobs of RAM for them. Once that is in, we will be upgrading LyricWiki‘s setup once again. We currently have 6 servers, this will bring us up to 8! That’s a significant increase and hopefully will make LyricWiki even faster.
Our webhost is moving to a new datacenter right down the street from the current datacenter. We’ve scheduled with them to move the LyricWiki servers at 3pm tomorrow, March 21st. It will take slightly under a half an hour to actually move the servers (during which time the site will be down completely), then we will try to get everything back up and running as soon as possible.
The problems earlier today were apparently caused by an attempted distributed denial of service attack.
The datacenter has got all of this bad traffic blocked now, and the site appears to be back to normal (for several hours in a row now). The whole problem lasted about 1 to 2 hours but it’s tough to measure since the site was never completely down during that time.
The site is currently behaving very sporadically… there are some problems in the connection between our datacenter (where all of our servers hang out) and the internet.
Not sure whether this is related to the “emergency maintenance” Sprint was doing last night or not.
The team at the datacenter is working on it right now, and hopefully we’ll be back soon.
So far, LyricWiki has been running pretty well with the new server (our 5th server, named “Cochise“) set up with the rest of them. I’ve moved the API completely to that server which takes a good deal of the stress off of the site itself.
The site has been pretty fast since the new server has been up. However, there have been occasional slow-patches, and looking at the CPU usage on the main webserver for the site – it’s definitely still not “calm”.
So here’s a fun surprise: today I ordered another server! 😀
For the first time in a looong time, we can hopefully stay ahead of demand instead of suffering for a couple of weeks until it’s unbearable and we’re forced to upgrade.
W00t! This is an uplifting blogpost… lots of surprises! Anyway: the second surprise is that starting in October, I’m going to be decreasing the time I spend at my day-job by 40% so I’ll only be in the office 3 days per week. That’ll give me two whole days more each week where I can work on Motive Force products like LyricWiki. This should help things become much more stable very quickly.
Well, that was an abnormally enjoyable post for this blog – which usually just announces outages! The site still isn’t totally upgraded (because the weekend ended before I could make all of the extensions work), so I have to run back to that. I took snapshots of a bunch of performance stats before and after, so I’ll post those sometime soon.
Thanks for your patience during those past few weeks. Hopefully we’re in a whole new era for the site!