Server problems again :-/

Back to the same old grind of server problems.

The cause is unknown, I have restarted mySQL, Apache, and even rebooted the server. The number of users coming to the site is about normal, but the page views are much lower because people aren’t sticking around due to the reeeealy slow load times.

If anyone has any ideas about how to diagnose what could be wrong… I’m listening! 🙂

Advertisements

7 Responses to Server problems again :-/

  1. teknomunk says:

    What is the percentage between SOAP requests and MediaWiki pages? If there is more SOAP requests than usual, this may be an indication of inefficient SOAP code. Also, you added Special:Soapfailures recently, which behaves as though there is no caching on it.

    Mostly, I am just throwing out things that could be wrong, but I don’t know for certain if any of them are the culprit. It could be any number of things, but these are the first things that came to mind.

  2. remiss says:

    Just an observation: it seems to be extra slow on the first page visit and somewhat faster on subsequent page views (even if it is other pages than the first one). This might of course just be coincidence.

    I don’t know how the wiki-system works, but if you are able to insert timings in the page code that will most likely help you locate where the problem code is..

  3. lyricwiki says:

    @teknomunk: about 4% of the unique IPs are from the SOAP but they make up about 20% of the page-hits (and this is only logging of the getSong() function… if the other functions are getting used, those aren’t counted yet). I think you’re on to something with the SOAP… Right now it includes a good chunk of the wiki-core which is a TON of unneeded stuff. Also, all pages that end up not being found get checked three different times against the database using the Title class of MediaWiki which does a bunch of initialization that I didn’t need. I’ve rewritten the getSong() function not to need the wiki system and I’m testing it now.

    @remiss: Interesting on that first-page-load thing. It seems to be the same for me, but I can’t think of any reason. If the browser were caching large JavaScript files, that would take a lot of time… but I don’t think that’s the case.
    Inserting timings would be a good way to test… but the MediaWiki code is pretty confusing and kinda.. bloated (every page includes just about every file in the wiki system), so that will take some time, but I guess I have no other choice than to go back and try that.

    Unfortunately, even with the SOAP right now being temporarily disabled (the wiki code is still initialized, but no database checks are made) the site doesn’t seem to be fixed.

    …I’m working on the above, but am still open to additional suggestions as well!

  4. remiss says:

    Another thought, if the server isn’t under heavy load the most likely problem is that one of the files are executing some code that is spending a lot of time waiting, like trying to connect to the mysql-server or something like that. You might want to check that there aren’t a lot of failed connection attempts to the mysql-server and that mysql is set up to handle enough connections.

  5. lyricwiki says:

    @remiss: Thanks! If you view the more recent post than this I mention that the Ads were destroying the speed a bit, but that the first load is still pretty bad…
    from your recent comment, I looked into it some more, then bumped up max_connections and it seems to have worked! Even the first page-loads are going waaay faster now.

    Thanks everyone!

  6. Unaiaia says:

    If it helps when i’m running my bot it starts getting timeouts around 2 p.m. my time. This is 8 a.m. in the East Coast, 5 a.m. in the West Coast i think.
    For reference is 8:30 pm here right now.

  7. Hi people, chiming in late, still catching up on whats been happening the last few months. After the mediawiki engine parses wikitext, it caches the result. This cache is a per-user cache, with a default lifetime of about 24 hours, so yes, it is possible for it to take a little longer to load a page first time. NB this cache only contains the parsed wikitext, not the entire html page.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: